fixation pt location

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things or how to fix problems in PSYKINEMATIX 1.0

fixation pt location

Postby jessehusk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:54 pm

I'm wondering if it's possible to control the location of the fixation point on the screen? I haven't been able to find any way to do this when searching the help files.

I suppose if it's not possible, I might be able to create a work-around by creating an fixation "stimulus" so that I can control the position that way, but I'm hoping I might be able to control this feature a little more directly.
jessehusk

Re: fixation pt location

Postby psykinematix » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:34 pm

The location of the default fixation mark cannot be changed, it is fixed to the display centre (this may change in the future). The work-around you suggested is indeed the recommended solution, and this fixation "stimulus" would be then more customizable: its size, position, shape can be anything.

A few tips:
- make sure you set your fixation "stimulus" as the last one in your stimuli hierarchy, so it always appears in front of all other stimuli,
- if you want to maintain this fixation "stimulus" during the inter-trial interval, check the "Keep as fixation" box under the "Onset" tab of the stimulus control settings as illustrated below:

- to prevent your fixation to interfere with the other default fixation marks, set the default ones with an "empty" or white space character in the Control Settings of the Experiment Properties:

Hope this helps!

-- The Psykinematix Support Team
psykinematix
Site Admin

Re: fixation pt location

Postby psykinematix » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:41 pm

The newly released Psykinematix 1.2 provides additional options for the built-in fixation marks: location, size and font can now be customized. Up to 2 marks can also be specified for the stimulus fixation to support for change detection of randomly selected fixation mark (eg, for attention control in brain imaging experiments, see the on-line documentation for more details).

Hope this helps!

-- The Psykinematix Support Team
psykinematix
Site Admin

Return to Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting